Saturday, June 08, 2013

Figures

 

This figure has been standing on my desk for a while now. It started out as a sock doll, but then I started wrapping it using my wrapping technique, which enabled me to design and twist its shape.
I later attached the mask and scarf, which I found in the bowl of discarded crochet pieces on my desk.
It is still a work in progress, but several weeks ago I showed it to a group of kids I work with as part of the Artist in the Community scholarship. I wanted to show them items I was working on. Actually, this proved to be a turning point in my work with this group.
Since that meeting, in which I started teaching the wrapping technique as well, even the toughest kids in the group started cooperating, creating and inventing very creative items on their own: not just figures and dolls, but different kinds of toys as well.



Inspired by that experience, I kept playing with the fabric bands and tried to create a figure without using any materials other than the bands themselves.
That is how I came up with this figure.
During the last few months, I have been busy mostly with my embroideries, and the slow progress pushed me to make other items, which force me to think differently and use new combinations of materials and techniques.


*On Jult 20-22 I will conduct Wrapping Technique Workshop, as well as Portrait Embroidery and Sock Doll-Making workshop in  atelier Fiberfusing, in The Netherlands, you can see some details here-






1 comment:

Painter said...

Um, wow. With each visit to your blog I like your style more and more. From being a bit, well, creeped out, to realising how artistic and off-the-wall it is. Beautiful. It's even weirder in the medium of wool, which we associate with the cutesy cutesy of dolls and knitted dresses.